Blog

Monday, November 10, 2008

Isaacs Fan in Fiji

Isaacs fan Don Peck with his new Isaacs Fan friend "Su"

My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks in Fiji. Besides the scuba diving, snorkeling, massages and beach time, we spent each evening enjoying the beautiful and exotic sounds of the “bula band”. Fijians play guitars, ukuleles, and mandolins along with a variety of indigenous instruments. The folk styles are distinct in their fusion of Polynesian and Melanesian traditions and are dominated by vocal church music.

We were also privileged to enjoy the wonderful world of underwater Fiji. The boat rides from the resort to the dive sites were about  45 minutes and we were entertained not by the “bula band”, but by 5 or 6 divemasters with guitars singing in Fijian language. We couldn’t understand the words, but music is universal and it was a ball! The 2 songs they knew in English were “Please Release Me” and “You Are My Sunshine” and we all joined in!

One of the divemasters is also the lead singer in his church and would you guess, he is a die hard ISAACS FAN!!!!! He knows them from a CD he saw of the Gaithers. He loves the ISAACS!! He convinced me to the point that I gave him my beloved and only ISAACS t-shirt! His name is “Su”. He is 22 years old, very religious, a divemaster-in- training and a great young man. He now wears a big smile when he dons his ISAACS t-shirt! He hugged me until we left the resort!! I promised to send him several CD’s of the ISAACS and so I’ll be going shopping! I can’t wait to hear the divemasters sing one of the ISAACS’S songs!

Don


No comments: